1. Sports

Your suggestion is on its way!

An email with a link to:

was emailed to:

Thanks for sharing About.com with others!

What Age Is Too Young For Paintball?

By January 6, 2011

Americans take it for granted that a 12-year old can play at most paintball fields and even younger kids can play paintball in their backyards.  In Australia, though, players must be 16 or even 18 to play.  In New South Wales, there is discussion about lowering the legal age of paintball from 16 to 12. It will be interesting to see what happens.

This raises the question about what age is too young to play paintball?  I've seen children well under 10 play the game which I don't recommend, but I also don't think it is necessarily the government's job to set the age to take up the sport.  What are your thoughts on the matter?

Comments

January 6, 2011 at 9:24 pm
(1) Garland says:

Parents should decide when you can start playing, I started at 10 or 11, because you have to be at least ten at my field.
Gov’ts should not be able to decide this.

January 12, 2011 at 4:03 am
(2) joey says:

i thinjk that paintball should be aloud for 12 and up because i think kids these days at the age of 12 are mature and can handle a paintball being shot at them

January 12, 2011 at 10:29 am
(3) Zenaku says:

I started my nephew at six teaching him the basics of paintball and all the parts of the gun. How to properly use the weapon and all safety. He is now more mature then most adult players on the field.

January 13, 2011 at 12:42 am
(4) Marc says:

I have two boys. I started one at 10, and one at six. Six was a bit too young, it just hurt too bad and he got really shy about playing until a couple years later. I think 10 is a good minimum age, but Gov’t doesn’t need to tell us that. Most fields have a 10 or 12 year old restriction due to insurance regulations.

February 1, 2011 at 11:32 am
(5) James says:

Look there should never be any goverment controle of any sport. Now as far as the age of a young player, I think that should be determind on the paintball feild. If the young boy or girl fits into the safety gear, then why not let them play. I have told my 8 year old son that as soon as he can feild strip his marker, clean his gear, and get hit without crying like his uncle Russ then he can come.

January 7, 2012 at 1:01 am
(6) christian says:

i live in Puerto Rico and mostly we play woods and i am 15 years old y started at 12 my dad dint new but he was cunsernd about my safety its ok hes my dad i understand but i think the own ho youd decide at what age to play are the parents my dad stil dosent now i play but he lets me because im mature and responsible and parents i recomend to let them but if there 10 to 12 make sure an adult that u now is plaing with him why i recomend 10 to 12 becouse paintball brings you responsability let dem earn the money so they can be more responseble and tel to him or her if you dont do this or that you are not gonna play paintball and youll see the change in your son or dauter !! and i thing that the goverment dont need to thesaid at what age its the parents

March 9, 2012 at 5:12 pm
(7) Gifted says:

It definitely depends on the child. It should be up to the parent not the government.

June 25, 2012 at 9:06 am
(8) skyler says:

I think kids these days should start at the age 11 they should be able to bet shot with the paint ball gun

December 2, 2012 at 5:03 pm
(9) stefanpb says:

play at 9 it is fine i got my own gun and i play on a team and im 10.I love the sport and kids know what it fealls like it is just a littel pain.i my self have ben shoot like rapidly in the back